Untitled ProfileGender not knownPaint a new match
The process of painting a match involves some copying and pasting of data. While you can do this on a touch device, you might prefer to use a desktop browser!
Create a new profile
When you have a DNA match, you will match on particular segments. The aim of this site is to provide a platform that lets you take this match segment data and use it to 'paint' your chromosomes (or those of the person who took the DNA test!), adding as much information as possible so that you can use this info to help trace future matches.
You can choose whichever colours you like. For known connections, we recommend assigning a distinct colour to each of the four grandparents, and then using variations of these. For more information on how to use this page, click the 'Tour of this page' link at the bottom right.
Chromosome Detail 1
Drop this match into a new group to move it
New Group for match
23 matches / 145cM painted
- Matches To move a match to another group, click and drag on its handle.
Please confirm you want to delete forCancel
To make a copy of this DNA profile, please click the button below.
You will then be taken to the new duplicated profile.Duplicate this DNA Profile
You can now do a bulk import of matches from selected external sites if you've tested or uploaded your data to them.
Before importing anything, it would make sense to duplicate this profile first so you have a copy to go back to in case of any issues.
- Matches will not be sorted into maternal or paternal (hence will not count towards the % completed)
- This process is likely to add a significant number of segments to your profile - from the low hundreds to several thousand, depending on the number of matches you have. This is likely to slow your profile page down.
- By default, the site will exclude close matches with more than 2,000cM shared (uncheck the box below to include these)). It will also exclude any matches you've uploaded before.
To import your matches, you need to log in and download your segment data from the relevant site, and then upload this file to DNA Painter below. You can get your latest segment data by clicking on the relevant button below (if you haven't already, you will have to log in to the external site).
The site can currently accept the following files:
- Family Tree DNA segment data
The file is also available via the link 'Download All Matches to Excel (CSV Format)' in the ftDNA chromosome browser (usually called _Chromosome_Browser_Results_[date].csv)Download Segment Data from ftDNA
- 23andme segment data
The file is also available via the link 'Download aggregate data' on the 23andme DNA Relatives page (usually called [name]_relatives_download.csv)Download Segment Data from 23andme
Once you have your file, you can upload it below.
Please try re-downloading the file using the button above and try again!
To proceed with the import, browse for the file from your computer below and click 'Import this File'.
new match segments are overlaid below
You might have to scroll down to see them all.
No new segments found
new segments imported for matches.
- Click 'Paint a new match' and paste in match data to start painting.