Boost your research with powerful tree visualizations and DNA imports!
DNA Painter is free, but you need a subscription if you want to:
- Create additional chromosome mapping profiles
- Benefit from bulk import of shared DNA segments
- Create additional trees
- Import all generations of your direct line from your GEDCOM file
You can now subscribe to DNA Painter and unlock the power of visualization via trees and chromosome mapping:
- Create multiple trees — A new tree can be created for any ancestor in your tree with a click, allowing you to view *their* DNA inheritance paths and pedigree collapse.
- Experiment with different chromosome mapping approaches — Have up to 50 chromosome mapping profiles
- Identify trends and common matches — Access subscriber-only bulk processing tools allowing import of custom segment lists and match lists from MyHeritage, 23andMe and FamilytreeDNA
- Bulk-add new matches — So long as you retain the match name, the import will skip already-imported matches and just add new ones
- Enjoy extra flexibility — Assemble groups of matches in your favourite spreadsheet application and import these directly into a DNA Painter chromosome map
All for the price of a good cup of coffee each month!
Subscriptions are $55 for 12 months.
Frequently asked questions about subscriptions
“DNA Painter has quickly become an essential tool for genealogists!”
— Blaine Bettinger, The Genetic Genealogist and founder of DNA Central
“I love this tool, and you will too”
— Roberta Estes, dna-explained.com
“DNA Painter offers wonderful additions to the genealogist’s arsenal of resources”
— Paul Woodbury, professional genealogist and lecturer
(e.g. Shared cM/ WATO)
|Access to all||Access to all|
|Chromosome Mapping||Limited to 1 profile||Up to 50 profiles|
|Bulk import functionality||No access||Unlimited access|
|Trees||Limited to 1 tree||Up to 50 trees|
|Gedcom import functionality||Import up to 4th-great-grandparent level||Import all generations|
Quick Subscription FAQ
- What happens after my subscription expires?
- A subscription is required to create additional trees and chromosome mapping profiles beyond your first profile, to access the bulk import functionality and to import your entire ancestral pedigree from a GEDCOM. If your subscription expires, you will retain all your trees and profiles but won't be able to use import functionality or create additional trees or profiles until you have renewed.
- I already have more than one chromosome mapping profile; does this mean I have to pay?
- No, you do not need to subscribe to retain full access to existing profiles.
- What kind of files can be used in the bulk import?
- The bulk import can currently process the following types of file:
- segment data files from FamilytreeDNA, MyHeritage and 23andme
- segment data from Gedmatch's Tier 1 'Matching segment search' tool
- exported DNA Painter profiles
- segment data from any other source, provided it is set out in with set column headers.
Additional sources will be added when these become available. For more information and full instructions, read the help page.