Boost your research with innovative relationship visualisation and prediction tools!
DNA Painter has many free tools, but you need a subscription if you want to:
- Investigate family mysteries with additional WATO+ trees
- Create additional chromosome maps and benefit from bulk import of shared DNA segments
- Create additional ancestral trees or multiple dimensions
- Import all generations of your direct line from your GEDCOM file
You can now subscribe to DNA Painter and unlock powerful visualizations and calculations:
- Create multiple probability trees with WATO+ — Investigate family mysteries and use the birth year of the parent in order to refine your DNA-based hypotheses about how a tester might fit into a family tree.
- Create multiple ancestral trees — Create a new tree for any ancestor in your tree with a click in order to view *their* DNA inheritance paths and pedigree collapse.
- Experiment with different chromosome mapping approaches — Have up to 50 chromosome maps
- Identify trends and common matches — Access subscriber-only bulk processing tools allowing import of custom segment lists and match lists
- Enjoy extra flexibility — Assemble groups of matches in your favourite spreadsheet application and import these directly into a DNA Painter chromosome map
All for the price of a good cup of coffee each month!
Subscriptions are still just $55 for 12 months.
Frequently asked questions about subscriptions
“DNA Painter has quickly become an essential tool for genealogists!”
— Blaine Bettinger, The Genetic Genealogist
“I love this tool, and you will too”
— Roberta Estes, dna-explained.com
“DNA Painter offers wonderful additions to the genealogist’s arsenal of resources”
— Paul Woodbury, professional genealogist and lecturer
|Limited to 1 tree *
|Limited to 1 map
|Up to 50 maps
|Bulk import functionality
|Limited to 1 tree
|Up to 50 trees
|Ancestral Trees Gedcom import functionality
|Import up to 4th-great-grandparent level
|Import all generations
|Other standalone tools
|Access to all
|Access to all
Quick Subscription FAQ
- What happens after my subscription expires?
- A subscription is required to create additional WATO+ trees, ancestral trees and chromosome maps beyond your first map, to access the bulk import functionality and to import your entire ancestral pedigree from a GEDCOM. If your subscription expires, you will retain all your trees and maps but won't be able to use segment import functionality or create additional trees or maps until you have renewed.
- I already have more than one chromosome map/tree; does this mean I have to pay?
- No, you do not need to subscribe to retain full access to existing maps and trees.
- What kind of files can be used in the bulk import?
- The bulk import can currently process the following types of file:
- segment data files from FamilytreeDNA and MyHeritage **
- segment data from Gedmatch's Tier 1 'Matching segment search' tool
- exported DNA Painter chromosome maps (the CSV file from 'All segment data')
- segment data from any other source, provided it is set out in with set column headers.
For more information and full instructions for chromosome mapping, read the help page.