- DNA Painter is an easy-to-use tool that helps genealogists make sense of DNA testing. By mapping segments of DNA to chromosomes, we can begin to see which ancestors gave us which pieces of DNA, and thus how new matches are related. As a result, DNA Painter has quickly become an essential tool for genealogists!
- Blaine Bettinger
- Thank you, thank you, thank you for creating this tool! It's my new obsession and I am enjoying it immensely. What I absolutely love is I don't have to understand science to use it.
- Devonna Wick
- This is the most user friendly, easy to use mapping tool.
- David Cooper Holmes
- So glad to have discovered this tool. A warning though: it is highly addictive!
- Jenny Terras
More help and advice
DNA can be confusing, but there are lots of great resources available to help. To get the most out of this site, it might help to watch a webinar above and/or read the where to start section first. This will give you a sense of which of the site's features will be most likely to help you achieve your goals.
Blaine Bettinger of DNA Central and thegeneticgenealogist.com has also produced a helpful video introduction to chromosome mapping.
For more specific advice on genetic genealogy and how to draw conclusions from your chromosome mapping, I highly recommend the blogs and resources linked in the 'Further Reading' sections of the glossary, along with the Genetic Genealogy Tips and Techniques Facebook group.
- The help section includes an FAQ and a page of articles and resources.
- There's a dedicated DNA Painter user group on Facebook.
- I have an example chromosome map that you can play with. Nothing on this page will be saved, so feel free to try moving things around and deleting them!
- Follow @dnapainter on Twitter or like the Facebook page for updates on new features.